Mince Pie Tart
This is a Christmas tart recipe for those who are not "Bake Off" potential contestants and are looking for a quick and easy festive treat.
It uses storecupboard ingredients and shop bought mince meat. Serve it warm from the oven with a good dollop of whipped cream and your guests will be mightily impressed. If you wanted to bulk out the filling you can add a finely sliced cooking apple for a bit more bite.
For the pastry:
1 tsp of cinnamon
100g cold butter, cut into small chunks
1 tbsp of caster sugar
2 tbsp of water
For the filling:
420g jar of good quality mince meat
A sprinkle of cinnamon
1 large free range egg, beaten
23cm fluted tart tin
- Place the flour and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub in using your finger tips until you have a rough breadcrumb like mixture.
- Add the sugar and mix through with a spoon. Add the water slowly until a dough comes together.
- Form a ball with your hands, cover in cling film and place in the fridge to chill for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Roll the pastry dough out to about half a centimetre in thickness and line a 23cm fluted tart tin with it.
- TOP TIP
Make sure to cut out little stars from the pastry to decorate with later!
- Prick the base with a fork and fill with tin foil, shiny side down and ceramic baking beans.
- Place in the oven and blind bake for 10 minutes, remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes. Fill the pastry base with the mincemeat mixture and top with the pastry stars.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle over a little cinnamon. Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until the pastry turns golden brown. Serve cut into slices with a drizzle of cream!